2018 Washington conference submission
IIIF 3D Community Group meeting
Stuart Snydman - Stanford University (United States), Ed Silverton - holoscene.io (United States)
Abstract: 3D capture is gaining wide traction across interdisciplinary communities as technologies have improved. Much development of 3D applications is siloed, and cutting-edge activities are largely happening outside the library and cultural heritage realm. 3D data cover a wide-range of file formats and applications for research and outreach.
The IIIF 3D community group provides an opportunity for institutions interested in interoperability to coordinate strategies and facilitate conversations about open standards that support 3D use cases. Many of the desired operations and interactions with 3D data are similar to the 2D and A/V use cases of IIIF for sharing images and annotation, and organizations are increasingly looking to integrate exhibits, displays, and comparisons of 3D data with other file types.
The goals of the IIIF 3D community group are:
* To explore possibilities for viewing, search, discovery, and annotating 3D data.
* To collect and document use cases from existing and new IIIF community members that suggest the need for interoperability of 3D data.
* To collect, discuss and evaluate the state of the art with respect to 3D requirements for use by the cultural heritage community on the web.
* To coordinate and connect through outreach to internal and external partners and technical experts, and related initiatives.
* To explore best practices for interoperability and possibilities with existing IIIF specifications and open APIs through articulating use cases and experimentation.
The IIIF 3D community group is in its nascent stage, its first meeting scheduled for March 2018. During this 90 minute discussion session we will introduce the community group to conference participants, discuss use cases and plan future activities.
Presentation type: 60 minute discussion
- IIIF content communities (museums, manuscripts, newspapers, archival content, etc.),
- Emerging use cases for IIIF technical specifications,
- IIIF-compatible software and experimentation
- 3d data,
- virtual reality,
- community group planning,
- use case development